Many hearts were crushed yesterday when news broke that Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead in a hotel in Vancouver. As a fellow gleek, I know how heartbroken I am! An exceptional talent, the 31 year old actor will certainly not be forgotten. To honor his legacy on GLEE, I’ve comprised a list of some of his best hits on the series.
The Best of Cory Monteith:
- Don’t Stop Believin’: Who could forget the song that made us fall in love with Finn Hudson?
- Can’t Fight this Feeling: Originally debuted in the shower, this song won Hudson a spot in the glee club.
- I’ll Stand by You: Probably one of Finn’s most memorable songs. Even if the baby wasn’t his!
- You’re Having My Baby: Remember when Quinn was pregnant? Good times. This was the precious song that both gave comfort to Quinn AND got her kicked out of her house. Nice one, Finn.
- Hello, I Love You: Ah Yes. The Hello assignment.
- No Air: (Duet with Rachel) Probably my favorite Jordin Sparks cover of all time, this song was one of the original glee ballads!
- I’ve Gotta Be Me: This song HAD to be on this list. Monteith does Sammy some jazzy justice.
- Losing My Religion: As doubtful as we were about glee performing an REM song, it certainly worked in the plot line and won our hearts.
- Just the Way You Are: Simply beautiful. Dedicated to Kurt, this is the song that made Finn Hudson a man.
- She’s Not There: Who has the power to unite a football team a bunch of loser singers? Finn Hudson, that’s who! (Oh and don’t worry, I love those geeky singers. DUH.)
- Don’t Go Breaking My Heart: (Duet with Rachel) Dangerously amazing harmonies.
- Damnit, Janet: ROCKY HORROR. Need I say more?
- I Don’t Want to Know: (Duet with Quinn) Rumours episode. I don’t know if it was the fact that the episode revolved around one of my favorite albums or if it was the fact that I was dying for Quinn and Finn duet that made this episode so special.
- Pretending: (Duet with Rachel) An original song, written by Finn himself, featuring the kiss that lost the New Directions nationals, but won the hearts of Finchel fans everywhere!
- More Than a Woman: Honestly, there aren’t many disco songs that I can say I truly enjoy. But look at Monteith hit those high notes! Exceptional.
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: A slow and beautiful ballad song for Santana.
- Hit Me With Your Best Shot/One Way Or Another: Speaking of Santana, this duet is AWESOME. The dodgeball game is just icing.
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Who would have thought a traditional Christmas song could be turned into a rock anthem? Finn and Puck apparently.
- I Just Can’t Stop Loving You: (Duet with Rachel). Can we talk about how long I waited for Glee to give a tribute to Michael? SO LONG. Pure perfection.
- Glory Days: (Duet with Puck). The perfect anthem for graduation.
- Barely Breathing: (Duet with Blaine). FINALLY. A duet between Finn and Blaine.
- Juke Box Hero: (Duet with Ryder) It was only fitting for Finn to instill the confidence in Ryder, Will had instilled in him.
- Bye Bye Bye/ I Want it That Way: Probably the most amazing mash up of all time. As a child of the 1990s, I have no words. JUST SO GOOD. As for the feud between Will and Finn, thank goodness that didn’t last long.
- Fight for your Right to Party: (Duet with Puck) This song marked Monteith’s last appearance on glee. At least he ended on the same alternative rock vibe he started with.
It truly is a tragedy to see someone with so much talent be taken so young. Cory Monteith inspired millions of individuals and he was so much more than his addiction. I can’t even imagine Glee continuing without him. (Almost as much as I can’t imagine my life without Glee!!) My prayers go out to his co-stars, friends, family, and especially Lea. His legacy will continue forever. He really was the “glue of Glee.” He took that midnight train going straight to heaven. RIP.
The lights of the world are a little dimmer today.